Core Duties of the Municipal Clerk
The position of Borough Clerk is required by New Jersey statute (N.J.S.A. 40A:9-133) to:
1. Act as Secretary to the Mayor and Council - prepare meeting agendas, be present at all meetings of the governing body, retain the original copies of all ordinances and resolutions, and record the minutes of every meeting.
2. Act as secretary to the municipal corporation and custodian of the municipal seal and of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts and archival records of the municipal corporation.
3. Serve as the chief administrative officer in all elections in the municipality.
4. Serve as the chief registrar of voters in the municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the New Jersey Statutes.
5. Serve as the administrative officer responsible for the acceptance of applications for licenses and permits and the issuance of licenses and permits.
6. Serve as coordinator and records manager responsible for implementing local archives and records retention programs as mandated pursuant to Title 47 of the New Jersey Statutes Annotated;
7. Perform such other duties as are now or hereafter imposed by statute, regulation or by ordinance or regulation.